Groton Pond History

Dates Detail

 

 

1873: M & WR Railroad line completed

 

1876: Forest Fire?

 

1883: Forest fire of 2000 acres around the Pond (from Lanesboro over Owl's Head, Little Deer, Big Deer, to Stillwater Brook around to Coldwater Brook

 

1908: Forest fire on west side of pond (from behind Plainfield Camp up Jerry Lund Mtn and down the Pond shore to about the Page camp (#002A)

 

1931: Town built road to south end of lake from Ricker's Mill

 

1933, Nov 22nd : CCC starts construction of Forest Road (Rte 232) from    both ends 

 

1934: Forest Road (Rte 232) and small Stillwater campground & picnic area completed by the CCC

 

1937-38: Forest Road (Rte 232) widened to 2 lanes

 

1938: Hurricane

 

1947: Electricity to the north end

1947 General Assembly authorizes leasing of land in the State Forest

 

1956: Last train through the forest

 

1959: Construction of road around the north end

1959: Construction of Log Pile Lane

 

1961: Boulder Beach opened

 

1962 Lord Drive built to Goodines

 

1963- Act of 1963 - Natural Areas law set Peacham Bog aside for protection

 

1963 Big Deer Campground constructed

 

1965: Telephone to most of Pond (Molly's Pond Telephone Co.)

 

1966: Concrete dam built by state - raised water a couple of feet

 

1975-79 Nature Center Built (with the hands of John LaRosa)

 

1987: West Shore Road Constructed

 

 

To be resolved:

1938 ist stillwater loop complete, 1958 second loop completed

1955 Boulder Beach road contructed

1959 Boulder Beach, 1962- original large bathhouse constructed

1965 stillwater contact station built