Preamble: A meeting of the membership is required at this time by the bylaws of the association for the purpose of electing the trustees and clerk. This meeting is also qualified to act on such business as may be brought before it.
1) Call to Order-quorum confirmation (20 members required) 54 members present, approximately 75 people in attendance
2) Introduction of new members and guest: Barb Zander and Dennis Casey
3) Volunteer Thank You
Dave Spencer Groton pond .com web site…damn inspector, Weed survey grant and management.
Ellen Farquharson (trustee)
Dean Edson - damn inspector
John LaRosa- fireworks, milfoil team, lake quality monorting
Paul Sykas- trustee and chef
Peter Welch trustee and chow line set up
Matt Coxon- trustee and chow line set up
Steve Clark – Trustee, Shoreline Management legislation meeting
Peter Lyon – Goose Nests and Egg Addling
Jim Soutar for welcome committee and Goose Assistant.
Darlene Sprague - loon monitor
Mary Ann Dubois – Boat Parade Leader
Spoor family for the fireworks location
4) Email addresses Please. If you are not receiving email from me and you want to be kept up to date, please provide your email address. Please send them to email@example.com ß-NOTE! NEW EMAIL!
5) Minutes 2013 see website. Minutes approved
6) Financial Report-Presented by Oreste Reader: Report approved
7) Moment of Silence for deceased members – Lifetime member Jeanne S. Desilets, Bob Smaltz, Kenneth Bostrom, Ellen Andrews (mother and grandmother Rossi family), Patty Ricker
and election of two trustees to replace Ellen Farquharson
9) Nomination and election of Clerk/Treasurer position for one year: John LaRosa
10) Financial recommendations from the board of trustees
c. $50.00 Loon Recovery Program
d. Dues set at-$20.00 (includes one cookout ticket)
gave a report about park statistics.
12000 visitors at
Boat launch: 97 launches recorded this season, with a reminder, please tell park staff if you have launched, or taken out a boat after hours. Park hours are 8am to 8pm 7 days a week during the regular season.
12 ) Committee Reports
a. Federation of Lakes and Ponds: We did not participate in FOVLAP this year. There are other groups that might better represent small lakes and ponds, and we will pursue those.
b. Goose Nests and Egg Addling – Peter Lyon
Peter and Jim Soutar found one nest and successfully oiled the egg. There was one gosling this year, the location of the nest unknown. Peter said that communication was great, keep the calls coming. 584-2030. The membership supports renewing the permit for the 2015 season.
Keep sending your photos and information to Dave. Visit the web site, a lot
Interesting information about the lake, and lake history
e. Weed Survey – Dave Spencer See attached, final report to follow.
f. 4th of July activities-boat parade, fireworks – Mary Ann Dubois
Parade Saturday July 4, 2015
Fireworks tentative for Friday July 3rd, 2015
13 ) New Business:
a. 2014 Addling nests and eggs - Nuisance Canada Geese: see Peter’s report above.
b. Completed weed survey and Purple Bladderwort weed control options if any. Not a water quality issue but a real nuisance. Jack Malone will spearhead a bladderwort control team for the fall of 2014, with a more aggressive approach (harvesting) in 2015. If you are interested in helping that team, contact Jack firstname.lastname@example.org
c. Shoreline protection Bill Passed. See www.Grotonpond.com Steve Clark attended the information meeting on this, and read excerpts from the bill. All are encouraged to review the Bill.
d. Rock Marking – voluntarily mark known rocks please. Not an Association task.
e. Boat Launch Privileges: ALWAYS stop and check in with the contact station, wash your boat even if it has never left the lake. We must lead by example. Be courteous, and a responsible steward of the lake.
f. UFO’s ?! Please be aware of the possible dangers when launching flame carrying paper or plastic flying luminaries. Chinese lanterns etc. If they don’t make it above the trees or are misdirected by wind they can become a fire hazard.
**Peter Lyon stood up and suggested a standing ovation for
Members discussed the
14) 12:00 Noon - Burgers and Dogs served! Meeting adjourned 11:43 am